Wednesday, August 06, 2003

The things I do...
I have been spending some time at home sorting out my cumulative mess and my little house. Although today has been the hottest day in London, up here in Shropshire I was raring to go! My garage has an upside v-shaped roof (don't know the proper name!) and the wooden bits at both ends needed painting. Ted, my neighbour did the end over his chrysanthemums a few weeks ago, the other end over the garage door was today's little job. First it had to be sanded down to get rid of the green stuff growing all over it. That was OK until I had to reach the middle and highest part. My step ladders would not let me reach, so it had to be the 'other' ladder, it bends in half and also makes a high step ladder. The bent in half bit meant that it was at an incredible angle and I could not get up above 4 steps - I am not very good at heights you see. So I made it into a step ladder, with two very useful extensions which I could hold onto - I thought! Hmm, well, I got up the ladder - six steps even with paintbrush in hand, then put my hand on the wall to provide extra balance to paint. Fine! Then I needed more paint, had to go down again and I leant forward to see where to put my foot, whereupon the extension thingy hooked under my bra at the front and got me caught!
Oh dear, difficult moments, I didn't want to struggle because the whole thing would tip up, Ted had gone out and I wasn't sure I could face him with that request, actually I couldn't have faced him, it would have been more of a bottoms up venture! Picture this, I am at the top of the step ladder, my knees are knocking, I am stuck bending forwards, so very gingerly, I let go of the wall, balanced the paintbrush on the top two bars (no step on this step ladder - all rungs) and gently unhooked myself.
I can truly say that I have never had such an uplifting experience before!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home