Saturday, June 26, 2004

That word will never be the same again!
Why is that other people's accents change words irretrievably? I now go week at the knees when anyone says this one utilitarian word - selotape.
Last Thursday the 'girls' from school went on an outing to Bridgemere. I have not been there for years - about 6 years. However, they were holding a French market, a barbeque demonstration and there was a jazz band playing there. Sounds good?
Well, the drive over was so full of memories of places that I had stopped at with my 'best firend' - buying antique things, not so antique things, in fact it should just have been 'buying'. Then there were the tea places and the occasional pub we had a meal in, or knew who the landlord was etc etc. So, I was driving - literally, down memory lane.
Then at Bridgemere the plants were as brilliant as I remember them, the jazz was perky, encouragingly the people selling barbequed food burnt it as much as I do. (So I see no need to pay hundreds on a machine that I can't store, takes an age to heat up and then is in effect just a flame thrower at food. Sad old git that I am!)
But, here is that wonderful word, but... the French market was full of the sexiest men selling pottery, cheese, wine, cider etc. I stood in the middle of one of the tents and just laughed, what a treat! I managed to remember, fleetingly, that I have political objections to buying anything French at the moment, then turfed that out of the window, bought a traditional Marmite Pot that I have always wanted and never managed to get, a samll lasagne dish, so that I don't cook and eat double quantities, then came the orgasmic moment when the gentleman declared he needed to selotape the lid to the maain dish.
Well, my knees liquified....oooooooooooooh. What a treat!! I can't express it in writing - it was the second syllable that did for me, and my knees are still jellified. After that the cheese man did the same thing! Now is there a French tactic with this word, do they know how effective it is to use selotape in England? My goodness, I have to tidy my house today and I shall have Edif Piaf blasting out and a Mantra, a solitary word repeatedly running through my mind, but NOT spoken out loud.
Happiness is -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home