Sunday, June 01, 2003

Oh dear...

When you live in a house on your own, the building's personal creakings become very familiar and are almost part of your own daily clock. When the radiators start to cool down in the winter, it is time for bed. The sun light shining into the bedroom window announces that yes I have definitely overslept – again!!

Sometimes when I go to bed I hear the telltale scurryings in the attic above my bedroom of mice paying me a visit. For the first half hour my feelings are quite generous, they need to be warm in the winter too, etc etc. After about half an hour though, I am concerned that they will chew through the ceiling and end up running all over my face in the night. I am not a brave person and this terrifies me.

So next day, I battle to the back of my garage and pullout the tall set of step ladders. (I have three sets – don’t ask!) Somehow I put them up under the loft door, turn on all the lights and then lift the hatch. Now I believe in talking to everything (even my luggage according to a friend in France!) so I warn the mice what will happen to them if they eat the blue granules that I am putting out for them, I also threaten them that far worse will happen if they don’t, so they do – eat the granules.
After a few days, the loft is peaceful again and I can put the step ladder back in its place – somewhere at the back of my garage. Then the only worries come at Christmas when I have to go up to get the decorations, you can imagine how gingerly I do this.

Yesterday, I was just doing the normal things in the morning, I had checked the bloggit and was in my bedroom when I heard a cat purring. (More necessary info here, my little house is an upside down one, I sleep downstairs and ‘live’ upstairs) A house search ensued, I shut each door after going through each room, but there was no cat. Drat, she must have just walked out.

In the bathroom later, I heard some purring so loud that it could only have come from the elusive Puma that is supposed to live in these parts. Another search - this time looking under everything and even moving furniture around. (Very dusty exercise! )

Still no cat, so I worked it out logically, a cat had been walking past the drain outside my bedroom whilst it purred. The drain magnified the sound, hence the puma- like proportions. OK, no worries, gave myself a little talking to about silliness and premature reactions to sounds.

By this time I hadn’t checked my bloggit for at least two hours, and as I am in the early stages of addiction, this was not good, so I came into my tiny little study to be greeted by …………the purring from the Assistant in Word …. Duh!
What a sad person I am not to realise this. My only excuse is that the computer has been very recently upgraded and I am not used to the sounds it makes . (And I can turn the sound levels up without realising it.....)
I must get out more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home