Monday, February 16, 2004

The Big Apple
It really is big! We are here in Manhatten, staying in a wonderful place - The University Club. (Firend, it is just the right place to be, 200 yards from Manola's shop, over the road from Gucci and just about 100 yards from Tiffany. You would be in seventh heaven!)
For those who don't know, I am here with my son on a long week-end. He is six foot tall with long legs, I am four inches shorter and don't walk too fast - correction, didn't walk too fast! We have walked miles in the two days that we have been here. I have been introduced to the diner where he has breakfast before running the marathon; the tree which supported him through a bad attack of cramp on his second run, the rise in the track beside Central Park which almost finished him off, I think you get the picture? I have walked a marathon and am feeling shattered!
I love it though, there are so many places which are so different and have lots of character. We found a buttonshop today which was selling Chinese buttons for $600 a set.... we passed on those! The MOMA shop is superb and I have bought far too much there. The Museum is just across from the club so I want to come back when it reopens here, there are so many paintings I want to see.
As for the tick list, it has been severely savaged. Most of the 'things to do' have been seen to, including ones which I didn't know about. Like learning how to cross the road - safely! Seeing the steam rise from the manhole covers, finding those chimneys which stick up beside a road and also release steam into the atmosphere. We have sat on the floor of the Grand Central Station Concourse and watched people walk by, what a fantastic place to meet someone!
Perhaps the poignant thing we have witnessed were the roses on the barrier in front of Ground Zero. Valentine's Day must be very hard for some people who still live and work nearby. It has an aura of great sadness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home