Sunday, February 08, 2004

I felt like....
being one of those silly people, jumping up and down and photographing myself. Why?
Well, yesterday I walked over the Millennium Bridge in London to get to the Tate Modern. On my own. No-one was holding my hand or pushing me. Only my children will know how much that cost me emotionally.
It was pouring down with rain and a tremendous wind howled across the bridge, but that meant that I could walk in the middle so that I could focus on the other bank and try to kid myself there was no water under neath. When both children were young we used to go shopping in Shrewsbury and often parked by the English Bridge. We then crossed the river by means of a bouncy bridge; it was Rupert's and Livvy's joy to run ahead and jump up and down then wait for me to turn green as the vibrations worked their way back towards me.
The engineers seem to have done their job perfectly, not a single wobble came my way and I even walked back over the bridge. It was brilliant, the view was superb, I actually enjoyed the walk and did not have the panic attack that usually accompanies these silly activities!
Through the pouring rain I saw the Globe Theatre, I hadn't realised it was so close to the Tate, so after my delicious lunch (always good in the cafe at the Tate) I went around the theatre. It was the highlight of my day, we had a wonderfully actressy guide who called us all dahlings and camped up the tour. I must see about going to a performance there, perhaps I might even enjoy it! Stratford and Shakespeare was always a bit too much for me, but then I have not yet grown into plays! Poetry? Just getting there, but I am nowhere near enjoying plays.
The sun in the main entrance of the Tate was spectaular, that alone was worth the trip down for the day. They are making that whole area smokey and the only form of light is from the sun - apart from all the camera flashes. It really is incredible, and something that you need to look at from all angles. I am beginning to like moving pictures... I wonder where that field of sheep is - the one with words on their back that you can use to make changing poems.... Perhaps after New York I will go and look for them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home