Thursday, February 17, 2005

Breakfast with swans

I have just returned from spending a night each with my son and daughter. Breakfas at each home could not have been more different. A house on the small estate where my son lives was having its drains pumped out (I must remember to tell them that). At my daughter's home I sat down with a view over the lake and lawn. Two swans had settled onto the lawn and were grazing, I didn't know that swans ate grass, but I do now! They were joined by a few coots, who I think were just starting their mating ritual. One would approach another with an arched back, rather like that of a cross cat, then down went the head, as if was about to hover the grass, and he charged at the other bird. The first few were then joined slowly by others who imitated the ritual, in between grazing the grass - at least I presume they were, might be quite wrong about that!
However, what a lovely scene to unfold as one eats breakfast.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

At the beginning of this post, I thought you were going to compare their cooking skills! It does sound lovely.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

That would be interesting - veggie v carnivore! But both excellent - well worth booking a meal with them!!

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home