Wednesday, September 03, 2003

Oh! There's Julien flying over...
I will introduce you to Julien presently. This morning I drove all of the six miles to school, only meeting one bus and one dead partridge. A quiet journey really. As I parked my car the house martins were wheeling overhead, then suddenly it was time for a rest and about a hundred of them landed on the telegraph (why do we still call them that?) wires overhead for a short breather, then off they went again, tweetering and generally flying around in a hooligan-like manner.
School was good fun, the joy of this age group is that you can start to tease them earlier in the year and talk about serious things. I was introducing the topic of Greece today and one child brought to our attention the fact that the loos have a narrow outlet pipe so the loo paper has to be put in a bin, not flushed away. Well, that got me going, I told them about our trip to the Cevennes and how smelly the loos in our hostels became, then looked at their faces and realised that no one had ever taken them up on these matters before. Very funny, it certainly silenced them!!
To less smelly matters, after turning out the PE shed (I'm the new teacher, you get these roles in teaching... not supposed to move heavy furniture?!!! Huh!! Who else will do it?), I walked back to my room and could hear some buzzards screaming quite close. There were three of them flying low in the field next to the school, bickering with the rooks as usual. They are magnificent birds.
So home for a g & t, it was lovely and warm so I sat outside for a couple of hours watching our resident hooligans have their evening of speed flying overhead, with the odd group of geese interrupting them, then Julien flew over. I am so pleased, I haven't seen him for ages. He is the local moaning rook; he flies with the rest of the group but at a slight distance and he moans all the time, "Caw, caw, caw, caw ,caw." The rest move silently across the skyline. The first time I heard him was after meeting up with some cricketing friends at Lilleshall where an extremely good throwing coach spent the whole evening moaning about the ECB to the National Coaches. How odd - to moan directly to the people that you work with - but at a social gathering. Do it professionally in a meeting, not with sundry others gathered around. Directly after listening to the coach I came home and heard this rook flying over and sounding exactly the same, so I christened him Julien. It was good to hear him again, if only because I was so cheerful. Then I had to come inside because it was getting dark and the birds wanted some food.
Blissful day - life is good at the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home