Sunday, August 31, 2003

What a Day!
I decided to go down to Worcester to see my mum and get all the gardening things sorted out before the beginning of term - the compost for the huge numbers of bulbs that we have ordered, the wall flowers and primulas planted etc etc. "I will be organised - and so will my mother" - do you recognise that desperate kind of comment? Hmmmm, well.....
We had a lovely lunch together which she had prepared and I bought some yummy cherries which we devoured for pudding. Livvy was meant to be joinng us which she did, then we started. First of all we went to Roots, the local farm shop which has delicious organic meat and veg, so we all had our trolleys and barged around there - you have to barge with my mum 'cos of her eyesight (or lack of it!), then we set off for Laylocks to get the compost. Just down the road we passed the Art Gallery where mum bought her lovely cherry wood chair - Foalyard. They have some lovely stuff in there, I looked at mum, she said "We haven't shown this to Livvy have we?" and miraculously, my car - called Blue, drove right around the roundabout and went back to Foalyard all on its own!! Would you believe that??? Livvy was extremely grateful for this because I had been a bit naughty and driven around corners rather quickly, she was a slight shade of green by this stage.... OK, not normal motherly behaviour, so I'm not!
Back to the Foalyard, you park on a rough courtyard, so by the time we had got mum into the gallery safely we were all ready to stand and look around. They have some lovely stuff in there - everything from pictures to glassware to lovely japanese noodle bowls to furniture. Are you with me?? Sitting in the far end of the gallery was -- yes, my sofa. Aaaah, bliss. Mum and Liv sat down on it and felt so comfortable, they insisted I sat too. Room for three at a time easily, very comfortable and the covering material was white (!!!?!! me, white?) suedette white four lovely large cushions at the back in shades of brown. Mum got up and bought herself something - again, not a chair this time but a lovely carved appled in yew - very touchy feely and more affordable than a piece by the Cornish artist Barbara Hepworth. Livvy enquired about the possiblity of their looking at Tim's dad's work - he has made some beautiful marquetry pictures and jugs, so she arranged all that, so I just bought the sofa. A gentleman came in, the lady served him and we were rather amused to hear that we weren't customers - just people sitting on their sofa!
By this time it was quite late so we shot off to the garden centre, around lots of lanes which we had never driven down before, believe me my mother and I go out for drives around Worcester and we think that we've got lost down most of them, but this was a new one! Lovely houses and scenery, so lots of oohing and annoyance when a car drove behind us. Finally the garden centre loomed, too late for a cup of tea but we got the compost - with a little touch of John Innes No.2 as instructed by Livvy and lots of pansies for mum's tubs.
Poor Blue, by this time we were loaded up to the gunwhales, we set off at an alarming angle (ever done a wheelie in a Puma?) to drive home. Odd noises emerged from the engine and the back of the car, but we did it.
A very successful day which we all enjoyed was sealed by another shopping trip to - wait for it - Tesco's and Pete's Plaice in St John's. Now he cooks the most delicious fish and scrummy chips, bliss!
Then home to bed as decreed by Zebedee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home