Sunday, November 21, 2004

Extremities of points of view.

Well Charles has put his foot in it again, the MP's have brought done the hunting toffs etc. etc. Where in all this is there an iota of common sense and a modicum of tolerance?
Charles - I don't tell the children I teach that they will all achieve the top notch jobs in any sphere of work. I point out that they are going to have to work extremely hard. One young man in my class is determined to be a farmer, so his attitude was rather antagonisitc towards things like learning his tables and how to spell correctly and write legibly. I asked him how he would check the deliveries of stock and feed, check the bills, write out letters to other farmers and firms that he is dealing with. Bankrruptcy is an easy option when you ignore costs. (Oh dear - this sounds non PC for a teacher!)
Another young lady is an excellent footballer, she also excels at other academic subjects, when she goes to the secondary school, she will find that there are others who want to do the same and they will provide some sense of the competition for these top sporting places. There are many other examples of pupils who are good at subjects, and I tell them they are. I remember only too clearly the Edwardian attitude of some of my family members - always put someone down, never praise them. I think that praise is an extremely powerful motivator, both for myself and my pupils. however, they also get a strong dose of common sense with it. There is always the rider, that if thing is worth doing, then it is worth doing well, so work at it.
(Now I wonder if this is the kind of treatment that Diana received from him in their years together? Sorry, I couldn't resist that unpleasant thought.)
As for the hunting bill. I am going to poison my soap-guzzling mouse, I hope he suffers badly from the cholic before his blood is thinned by the poison. I can do this legally for three more months, then after that I'm not sure what my rights are.. Where do the punters who buy battery reared chickens stand in this? The poor birds have their beaks cut back, no freedom or fresh air and are force fed so that they fatten up in half the time it used to take to rear them, that's almost as bad as poisoning a mouse, or killing a fox by hunting it. Shucks, we shall just have to run over 25,000 more foxes each year, or many more if they get round to sorting out that chicken cruelty, because the foxes will then have lots more food available.
Then we must ban fishing, swatting flies, killing wasps and driving - because we kill tremendous numbers of bugs each year in this cruel way.

Cross? You bet!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home