Sunday, November 28, 2004

It has been THAT day.

Do you get those days - the ones where you have to go to Ikea or its equivalent? Mmm, well today was the one for me.
Let me give you some background information. My spare bedroom has (had) two very comforatble stacking single beds, fine when only one was in use, but if the two were needed, then matchstick legs were a neccessity. So, bearing in mind my family are of the non-matchstick type, something had to be done.
First get rid of the beds - they are excellent, comfortable etc, but they did not have the magical fireproof label. So, no-one wanted them. The council agreed to take them and they are outside the house awaiting their call tomorrow. Getting them out was amusing. I used the window rather than carry them through the house, up the stairs (mine is an upside down house!) through the garden, down the steps, past the clematis that has covered the garage roof again and reaches out for anyone or anything that passes. Blow that for a game of soldiers I thought! So, out the window they went; isn't it a good thing I live in a remote place with little or no passing traffic?!! Can you imagine driving past a little house and a mattress squeezes out of the window into the road? As for the metal bedstead, that would put a sizeable dent in any vehicle!!

Stage one completed. The next thing is to sort out the room and make ready for the sofa bed. I calculated there were 2cm spare width between the two chest of drawers, fine!

Buying beds is fun! The last one I bought has a high platform, a couple agreed with me that any partner I found would have to be tall - this was no time for midgets! _ Yes, we had this conversation, total strangers we were, but oh we laughed and laughed!
This time a lady was looking for a similar item, we started talking, then sitting on the sofa, opening it out to a bed and then lay down on it together! Another family were also looking and listening, so we told them that we were strangers and they were welcome to join in with the sofa bed judging!! The teenaged son handled it all remarkably well, mine would have died with embarrassment at that age. We made our decisions, decided the better mattress was a 'good thing' and went on our ways.

Then I had to find the bits in the warehouse, that went well, only the new red baubles for the Christmas tree escaped, so no probs there. However, how to get it into the car? Fist of all I had to cage it all so that I could bring the car to the items, then try to fit it all in. ONLY JUST!! I could see through one wing mirror, the top of my reversing mirror and the offside wing mirror if I slid forward in my seat. Thank you police for not being around, I don't think they would have been happy bunnies.

On arrival back home, I decided that the new bed would go in the same way as the others went out. This time I was feeling rather tired, so I emptied the box and pushed things in bit by bit. Now its all put together, there is room to do the ironing in there as well as sitting on the sofa bed.

Hooray, I am at last starting to get my act together and do things. Look out little house!

I wonder who will christen the bed, should I test my 'putting together skills' before I allow anyone else to sleep on it - or let it all fall apart under them?!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

What fun looking for a bed! The next sofa we buy will have a bed. It seems like that would come in handy - only you have to keep it a secret from the people whom you do not want to spend the night!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Also make it slightly small so they don't feel too comfortable!! I just hope my children don't read my blog...

6:40 PM  
Blogger H said...

Or any other relatives.....................

5:06 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Whoops - didn't think of that - but you did drink all the last dregs of my tea bag.....

6:34 PM  
Blogger H said...

Sorry, that was the bearded one - not me!

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home