Monday, November 22, 2004

Turtles?

What does a Roman soldier have to do with turtles?
Answer: I'll have intimate knowledge of that tomorrow. We are visiting Wroxeter and my class are going to march in the turtle formation on the town hall area in front of the baths. Now they're going to have to make enormous leaps in their imaginations tomorrow to 'see' the buildings from the little bits that are left. The outdoor swimming pool is a wreck - if only a decoratively shaped wreck, the underfloor heating has lost its floor and the walls have gone awol.
How do I present this to them - as a kind of BBC 'help my ruins a real ruin - what did it look like?' programme. Somehow I don't think they are going to be too impressed with that idea. I think I will take the laptop and see if I can redraw it in 3d while they have their mock battles outside in the cold. Oh, they could try the swimming pool too!!
Meanwhile, what does this person have to do with a Hoover?
Answer, as little as possible, but I did switch it on this evening, so I am in shock. Must go to bed to recover!

2 Comments:

Blogger H said...

Miss, Miss, I know Miss, but will you let your little darlings have the shields and the weapons to do it? If you do, will you have a big enough first aid kit too? I wish I could come and be a turtle .......

11:36 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Well, we took huge sheets of cardboard for the shields, I didn't pain them in case it rained and they dripped red paint all over us, we had the foam javelins for the weapons and I consideed using the replica sword from the shop, but it cost 200 pounds and looked lethal! Great fun was had by all, and we found that the turtle idea really works.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home