Wednesday, March 16, 2005

They pass the smile test!

Thank you for this Pewari, it is the best criterion for keeping 'old familiars' that I have heard. All those family things that have come to me and I have few feelings for don't often raise a flicker, just a feeling of 'ought to keep'. So, yet more liberation on the clearing out the house front and shall I own up to the first things that are getting the order of the boot?
Well, over the years I have undergone a lot of dental work, - painful stuff that. Each time something radical takes place, my dentist takes a cast of my teeth and gives it to me as a kind of present. Are you with me now? I have at least six of these casts littering up my bathroom cabinet - I am going to throw them away now, yes this minute. I shall drop them from a great height into the bin.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

That is very funny! I agree that those should be thrown away. I don’t think you will miss them.

Over the years, I have collected my children’s baby teeth. I have no reason for this and have often wondered if I should throw them away. What do you think?

8:19 PM  
Blogger Pewari Naan said...

Ew, yes I think reminders of past dental work would make me grimace not smile!!

Tami, tough one. Everyone I know seems to think that baby teeth (or at least the first one lost) is one of the big keepsakes - personally I'm very squeamish about them for some unknown reason and the whole idea grosses me out. I'm sure it'll be different when it's my own child's teeth though.

I struggle with the children keepsake thing - I keep a lot of bits because I feel I ought to, but the things that make me smile are the photos and the things that have use are the records of when they did things. The rest really are just extras.

Now, can anyone tell me what artwork you're supposed to keep from the small forest each child produces?!

9:47 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

I keep only the artwork that is very original and then tape in into a scrapbook.

Keep in mind that you will be collecting these things until they are 18 years old!

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home