Monday, July 16, 2007

Thank you Tami!

The short but succinct message has done the trick Tami; yes, I am home again and there is no excuse for not blogging!!

Let me tell you about the exciting things that are going on at the moment - I have been spending a lot of time playing catch-up in the garden. Every time I walked down the steps to get to the car or the garage, a small bird shot out in front of me, so I searched around for the nest. In the end wall there is a little niche that the builder made, which I have put a little lantern in and sometimes remember to place and light a candle in there. Just behind it there is now a tiny nest with at least four fledglings. They are spotted flycatchers, a family of birds that is now in danger. So, we have a family in the garden and going out is now quite a trial - if I get in the way, I get a screaming lecture from mum or dad as they swoop in to feed the young, or sit on the roof waiting to catch some food. Which brings me to another point, I have deliberately planted my garden so that the plants will attract insects. Hmm, it seems like all that hard work was not actually for the insects, but for my squatting family who dart out from their vantage places on the roof of the garage or the top of the spoil pipe of my neighbour's house every time they see some food on the wing! Have a look at this site, there are some good videos on it.

http://www.ukbap.org.uk/UKPlans.aspx?ID=463

A few weeks ago, some of my walking friends stayed the week-end to explore this part of Shropshire. We have two lovely ecologists in the group and they brought their equipment for listening to bats. There were two different types in the garden that evening, now I am wondering if the flycatchers are leaving enough food for the nocturnal visitors! Perhaps I should take a drink outside and find out - the soprano pipistrelle sounds rather lovely!

We also have lots of other birds nesting nearby - the robin, blackbird, thrush and many members of the tit family are all feeding in the garden from time to time. It is a lovely time of year to spend time watching them - oh the bliss of not going to work! And I have been smelling the roses too!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

She's alive! Ha! Ha!
I'm glad you are back to blogging and busy in your garden. Most people are afraid of bats, but I find them interesting. Your place must be nice if all the winged creatures are lodging there :)

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home