Friday, July 04, 2003

Browning
The quote from Browning is not one that sits easily in my character. It is one, however, that I am trying to adopt. Let me explain a bit more.
I have been doing an online degree with several other people whom I know who have also been ICT tutors over the last couple of years. They are doing their second degree, realise that thinking is good thing and can work in this way. I am one of those kinds of people who look at something, make a snap decision and then rush into it - I also find a challenge irresistible, its what I call the 'banging my head against brick walls' syndrome - how many can I cope with at once?!!
So, the degree has several different types of work areas, one of which is a discussion board. I loved this and became quite addicted to it, finding it very difficult when people didn't contribute or when the facilitator disappeared for weeks on end. It is supposed to be the area where you read a comment, go away and think about it, then come back with a measured, thoughtful response. Mmm, I think you've guessed it, I jump in straight away with reactions, post them, then a day or so later have very different thoughts and the strange thing is that this way of working eats away at my subconscious level of thinking and makes me think about the subject. Whereas, I am sure that in face to face learning, I found it extremely easy to forget things and not cogitate. That thinking was a new experience, the other difficulty is my tendency to destroy the English language.
I chop words up and fit bits together that should never be joined and sometimes have astounded even myself. My two (what do I call them now - not children still?) -start again, my son and daughter still remember the time I went into the bakery shop in Porthmadog and asked for a slice of milk. Do you see how this could be difficult in an online situation? The vocabulary is sometimes totally novel, the meaning not what I want and as for the spelling of the the word 'the', I can manage to do this in many different ways.
So back to Browning, the word 'doubt' is there in a positive way for me to make an effort to check things before I press the enter key. Perhaps I should even stick a label on it with the word 'don't'!!

Here's the famous Browning poem for you:

Oh to be in England


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home