Saturday, October 25, 2003

Living Dangerously
I have written about the lovely little field mouse who lives just outside my conservatory, well there is another small rodent in the vicinty who must be grateful for my being late home last night.
It was just getting dark, I was driving down the lanes and as I had the headlights on, I chose the twisty turny ones, as opposed to the straighter safer ones. (I can see car's headlights coming and feel safer in the dark!) Anyway, I turned a corner and saw what looked like a log in the middle of the lane, I stopped the car and realised it was an barn owl, sitting there watching a small meal. Now there's hunting and silly hunting! Why didn't it sit on the side of the road in safety? He sat there on the road and I sat there in my car watching him, then he did that amazing head turning act that owls can do and we both watched a shrew scuttle across the road to safety.
Have you ever seen an owl shrug its shoulders and look balefully at you? I did last night, just before he gave up and flew off to look for supper elsewhere!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home