Friday, December 10, 2004

Celebrations

Am off to Leicester to celebrate my birthday with friends tonight, then shop tomorrow and start the first of the Christmas meals tomorrow night! It will be a very pleasant change from the week at school which has been fraught with innuendo.

We are faced with negotiables and non-negotiables, so my honesty has got me into hot water as usual. Pointing out that I am not a tidy person is an understatement, so now I have to be one. The display of words on the wall has to be done in a certain way.... ???( I have not seen the research which says this is guaranteed to teach children to spell, but there we are. )
The only way I can be tidy is to have nothing around me, so the plants have come home, the trays to hold papers etc, the waste paper bins and the spare pencils and pens. Quite quickly my classroom is developing that barren look. By Tuesday I want to have it all sorted, then perhaps the pressure will disappear. The funny part of this week's staff meeting came when we were watching a video about philosophy and children. In the classroom where the video was made, there were black plastic sacks around the room, piles of books and boxes and generally untidy bits everywhere. The children were learning though- they were even being held up as an example to all!!!

ps, mine can spell and define 'cynic'!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

They sound very rigid and unreasonable. I wish you the best of luck with them.

I have fond memories of brightly covered rooms full of "stuff". No kid learns well in a sterile environment. They need creative things around them to stimulate their own creativity.

8:00 PM  
Blogger H said...

Should we have a sweepstake on how long it will last?
A clear desk indicates an empty mind .......

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home