Sunday, November 06, 2005

Bonfire Night

Leicester really knows how to celebrate Bonfire Night. We spent the evening in an allotment on the top of a hill (well, a slope actually!) in Leicester watching their bonfire and almost all the fireworks of different groups in the city. There were many many different displays and they were tremendous, some of the fireworks I have never seen before and they went on letting them off for hours! We finished the evening having drink with the gardeining friends in thier home just around the corner.

Denise had a lovely picture on her wall which I assumed to be a photograph, but it was instead a charcoal drawing from the far east. It was spectacular - a drawing of a bedouin woman's head, she was wearing a headdress rather like a turban and a veil covering the lower part of her face. The eyes were incredible, they showed a reflection of a person when I looked at it from a distance, but close to it resembled nothing like a person. Wouldn't it be lovely to be able to create such masterpieces? I haven't given up on my plans to do more of the drawing, just waiting till after the end of February!

Oh yes, and the icing on the cake as far as the week-end went? I thrashed Shirley twice at Scrabble so I have the Scrabble Crown back!

2 Comments:

Blogger H said...

Glad to hear you had a good weekend with my adopted sister - most people go to one display and enjoy it, but not you two .................

8:19 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

I know a Dave and Denise in Leicester, but I'm sure your friends are different. It sounds like a wonderful time!

2:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home