Monday, December 26, 2005

Boxing Day

Tami asked what Boxing Day is, so not only have I dug into the recesses of my memory, but the internet has been of some help finding a good answer. I was always brought up believing that it was the day when you gave a box of money as a present to people, in my innocence I did not question this. The web site I found talks about this being a class issue, the 'box' was given to a member of the working class. I even remember mum and dad giving a CHristmas Box to Jim, the wonderful man who worked for us on teh farm in South Wales. The pratice went on until quite recently, with the tradition of giving your postmen and dustmen a Christmas Box - which was a tip of saome money. I can remember doing that within the last 20 years and it seemed quite the normal thing to do.


is the website which has a lot of information about it. I think I shall have a little read now myself! Then I must clear up the junk before my daughter and her partner come to stay the night. The poor old diss is not getting a look in yet!

(One last question, if it takes a walk of 18 miles to walk off the extra calories in a Christmas dinner, how many miles do you need to walk to get rid of a box of chocoltaes worth of calories???!)

5 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Sorry Tami, the website address has not come out - I will try to find it again!!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

http://homepages.tesco.net/~derek.berger/holidays/boxingday.html

Is as near as I can find it!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

Okay, I want a box!

Now, Liz, what is a "dustman"?? Is this like a chimney sweep?

2:08 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

This is so funny! We are supposedly speaking the same language.... a dustman (that's the old word! There's a famous song, 'My old man's a dustman, he wers a dustman's hat, he wears corblimey trousers, and lives in a council flat',)is a refuse collector, he comes weekly to collect our rubbish, nowadays we have huge wheelie bins, one for normal rubbish and another for green recyclable rubbish. (I don't know what cor blimey trousers are!)

9:41 AM  
Blogger Tami said...

We call him the "garbage man"!!

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home