Saturday, March 25, 2006

Did you know that...?

Young honey bees learn where they live by flying out of the hive backwards, then they fly round in ever increasing circles so that they form a pictorial record of where their home is in the surroundings. That is why you must always move a hive more than a yard away - the bees then have to retrain their personal homing knowledge for the new site.

So, what has that got to do with someone who gave up beekeping about 15 years ago? Well, I have finally nudged myself into action and bought a bike to go with the obligatory silly looking hat! I got it home safely - in the back of Herbie, put it together with some help from my wonderful neighbour, then went out for a ride.

WELL!

I thought my gym sessions were helping this body to become fitter. Poof! It didn't feel much like it at the end of the lane!! So, my strategy is to think like a baby honey bee: make the journeys just a little longer each time, not for the personal Sat Nav system, (although I am sure that will benefit too. I found a park for ambulances down at the bottom of the lane, I suppose they have to live somewhere!) but simply to allow me to achieve further distances each time I go out on the thing. My legs were as shaky as the flimsiest jelly when I arrived back home. The embarrassing moment came when I worked out that I had only cycled 3 miles.
Oooh, the shame of it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

As a teenager, I always loved my bike. However, my sister took the fun out of it when she would ride behind me and laugh at my big bum hanging over the eges of the seat!

4:39 AM  
Blogger H said...

I think you've got to get a bit competative - and try to out do me - the rides we do down here are measured in Odihams. (Based on the ride done to Odiham and back - about 15 miles) Also, it is easier to cycle further when you have company.
I won't mind you boasting the first time you do an Odiham!!!!
Oh, and when you have a shower afterwards, make sure a load of the hot water goes on your knees!
Tami, I bet you could laugh at me and my big bum - which sits on an enormous seat!

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home