Monday, August 06, 2007

Wow - what a telephone call!

Last Friday Wendy was due to come to stay. Wendy was the very kind person who put us up when we all arived at Lilongwe in Malawi last December. She didn't know us, but we stayed with her family at the start of our wonderful holiday. So, of course I asked her to come and stay if ever she came over to the UK.

My little house is not easy to find, so first time visitors usually ring from somewhere nearby - and that is what Wendy did. AND? Well, the electricity went off, the burglar alarm sounded and the telephone went dead. What a call!! As there was no current I couldn't turn the alarm off - drat! The electricity stayed off, so it was an area problem, not Wendy's call. But her phone had also had something happen to it, so she had to dismantle it to make it work again Do you get an idea that this is turning out to be a saga of problems? Mmmm. Finally, I managed to get hold of her and then sent her off in the opposite direction because she had approached our estate from the opposite way that I expected... but we manged it finally, I met her at the local cattery and led her home!

Her daughter is at that age where anything interactive is good, so we went off to Enginuity at Telford for our Saturday's entertainment. http://www.show.me.uk/museum/AM14330.html A great day was had, She did all the activities, including moving a steam engine (yes, a full sized one!) and made a very funny hand puppet. So I think Shropshire has impressed the lass from Malawi!
Meanwhile, I had to fight the router machine to get my computer back online. Virgin were not much use - at an expensive telephone rate! Belkin were superb, they sorted out the router problems and now things are working again and the call cost just 3p, as opposed to something like £5 for no help. Shall I change to Virgin for my mobile phone service? That needs some thinking about!!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

I’m sure it was scary for Wendy and she was probably afraid she would never find you. I’m glad she did though and I hope you all are having a wonderful time.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home