Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Done it!

Most people run marathons, I feel I have weeded a gardenathon... my lengthy trips away have encouraged the weeds to grow abundantly in the garden, so it has been a busy time sorting it out. Luckily I have finished it before the real season starts, so I can also sit down and read a book sometimes during the day without listening to the weeds getting closer and closer. (The person who first told the story of the princess sleeping in the tower which became totally overgrown, must have been a gardener!) Now I must train myself to do a section a day with the hoe so that 'they' don't have a second crop and take over again!

It looks like my sister's pruning of the pear tree was successful, there are some fruit on the tree this year, not many, but enough to give it a reprieve from the chop. The quince has set well so I am looking forward to a good crop this year, lots of quince cheese and paste I think. (OOH and vodka...) All the other fruit trees have set some fruits so I must now water them, especially the cherries as they do not like getting too dry.

Tonight's little job is to make sleeping bags for the tomato and basil plants that I have planted out in pots, I am sure they will help them to grow better. I just love freshly picked tomatoes to eat. This morning I managed to pick a little handful of alpine strawberries from the garden for my breakfast, the first fruit of the season.

Tonight's supper is going to be stuffed puffball, with quincemeat pies for pudding. Oh its no wonder I don't lose weight!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

I am always learning from you! I had no idea what a “puffball” was until I looked at a recipe and found that it is a mushroom! The recipe sounds absolutely wonderful!

I cannot find a recipe for quincemeat pies on the web. Do you think quince tastes like an apple or a pear? If you do, why do you prefer the quince over the others?

You see, with me you cannot fully retire from teaching!

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home