Saturday, May 31, 2008

Recycling things?

Yes, I am rather into recycling, but first of all let's talk about rubbish collections in this part of Shropshire. Every other week the council collects paper, cardboard, glass and material for composting. (They don't get any of that from me - it all goes into the compost heap. I know - where is my generosity here!) I willingly give them the glass, (but not the jam jars, I re-use those) paper and cardboard, I also take plastic bottles into the local recycling centre when I go into town. Old batteries, metal, lightbulbs, oil from cars, etc are other delights that they will collect. However, I have to drive to Telford to get rid of things like paint tins.

On the alternate week, the collection is for general rubbish that is left over, at the moment that is mostly plastic packaging that the council won't recycle, I take the plastic bags to the local supermarket who have a collection point for those. (But I don't accept any carrier bags at the shops - I have several cloth bags that I carry with me in the back of Herbie. And that's another point, how do I tell my car that Americans call their rubbish bins Herbie?!!)

At home I collect and dry egg shells and coffee grounds to use in my warfare against slugs. I know this sounds weird, but I am now getting some growth from the clematis so it works. All kitchen waste now goes into the Bokashi compost bin which will work on anything - including waste meat bits, not that there are many of those as I don't eat much meat. I also put fish bones and skin into the mix and so far it seem to be working well. There is a bran type mix that you sprinkle on top of the waste you put in the bin, then when the bin is full, put it outside for 14 days then add to the garden compost bin. Or the wormery - I have one of those too. At the moment it is coming to fruition for the first time - almost as good as Christmas dinner for the garden!

There are also 6 ordinary compost bins chewing away at the garden waste, they have the lovely treat of donkey dung being added whenever Julie needs to get rid of some of her bags of muck Good stuff and it speeds up the rotting process quite a lot! I also add my grass cuttings together with Ted's and any other compost stuff he wants to get rid of.My paper shreddings of envelopes and any other papers I want to get rid of also go in there (that is fun to explain to bank people when they ask if I am being careful of my papers - they have to admit that they don't do things that thoroughly!!) So, no food waste goes into the council dustbin, it is all composted - oh, except for the animal bones. Old woollen jumpers also go into the compost, together with the filling from old feather pillows, that combination makes a very good long term plant food.

Outside I have a water tub which collects the rainfall from the conservatory, I am going to put another one on the garage, I'm not sure I'm allowed to put one on the house as it is listed, but.... Every time I shower I collect the cold water that runs before the hot arrives at my shower head, that gives me about half a gallon, in the summer I also collect the pre-run from the hot tap in the kitchen sink. That too is quite a lot of wasted water. That is all used in the garden and on the house plants.

Then Ted gives me all the waste wood from his woodturning and I use that to light the fire in the sitting room. I also accept all gifts of wood from friends - trees chopped down, waste wood etc. The fire is one of the old fashioned ranges with an oven beside the firehole, so I can cook on that too!!

This is all possible because I no longer work - I could not have done all of this whilst working as there is just so much to do. But yes, I do believe that we have to work hard to stop sending so much waste to land fill. But I reckon we don't need to be packing fruit and veg in plastic whilst it is still on the shelves. What happened to the option of weighing out the fruit and veg and putting them in a bag; we do it for some things, but why do they insist on putting calabrese in cling film, or 4 apples in a plastic tray again covered with cling film, or other veg?

OK, I'm off the hobby horse, all I have to do now is to bottle the elderflower wine, then make some more elderflower cordial and wine. The limes were cheap on Wednesday so I'm going to make some lime cordial too. Yes, its good to have time to do all these things!! (Must make sure I have enough glass bottles to keep it in, LOL!!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

You gave me a great laugh this morning with Herbie! Just explain to him that there are great names connected with honorable people and things, but also, the same name can be used for disgraceful people and things. Give him a good rub down and he will understand ;)

It is impressive how much you recycle! It would be nice if some sort of system was in place where you paid less to have less garbage picked up. The people, who have more, could pay more. I’m sure this could cause trouble too though.

You are doing a wonderful job!

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your comment about giving Herbie a rub down is making me feel guilty. He got VERY messy last week-end when we were camping and I haven't cleaned him since. I will whisper your message into his ears as I wash him tomorrow - promise!!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

It sounds like you are living a life from the show "Good Neighbors." I love that show! You need to get a goat :)

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home