Saturday, September 13, 2003

Recycling
Hmmm. That's sounds like an ominous hum doesn't it?!
This year I have graduated to the much admired group of of people who have been able to get rid of many things that I have had since childhood. One type of things, was lots of books. The local book shop in Newport had started to buy second hand books, so I decided it was time to clear some of thosebookshelve that I had erected in 2000, so that any new books might have a place higher than ground level.
I asked first if they wanted books of a varied nature - we are talking music theory, pond plants, reading poetry and various dictionaries. Is that called a catholic selection? I don't know. Anyway, feeling very pleased with my strength of mind, I took in four boxes of books. The gentleman asked me to come back to discuss the price as he would need to look at them. Fine _ I thought, I will, I can do this now - get rid of things.
When I did, he was ill. So I left it until they told me, then he was still ill. So I left it and went back three weeks ago, he made an appointment to see me after visiting the very condescending book binder. Interesting, he had one of my books in his workroom. Hmmm.
Well, to cut a three month story short, I finally managed to see the people today - they accused me of
lying about the books, that I had already been paid - etc etc. I have not felt so demeaned for years, I almost burst into tears. Is this what business is all about? Destroy the people that you wish to deal with?
Sod that! Smallwood Lodge will find that it is not good tactics to rubbish your customers. The internet will be my route to book buying in the future. At least then I will not see people turn their back on me whilst they are supposed to be discussing the matter.... you will be glad to know that I did not say out loud that manners maketh man. Ooohhhh, I thought it though!

It must be a day for making me cross .... on the new recently there was a piece about training middle class children to look as if they had nothing that would attract muggers. Hang on here... shouldn't the police be catching the muggers instead of telling others how not to upset them? Where are we going?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home