Friday, July 15, 2005

Getting lost.

How easy is it for one to get lost? Well, the roads at least have turnings to help excuse the extra mileage, however, last night I was invited out to dinner on the canal. Easy peasy to find it - yes!! ?
Off I trundled after school, it is only about a mile from the village, found a place to park and then started to search for the boat. First block of boats by the bridge - no success, but had an interesting conversation about the relative success rate of wind power and solar power to keep the batteries on the boats going. Wind gives less power but provides it year round - so both is a good option. Met some lovely white dogs too. Then I explored the boats the other side of the bridge - ditto, no luck. The next step was to find the nearest moorings up the canal, so off I went in a circular route to the nearest bridge, where I found a gaggle of men collecting! Careful - they were fishermen, not just farmers gathering around a gate to gossip! Deadly serious matter - there were working out the draw. So I set off to walk the next length of the canal, still no success, but met a family who were on holiday and explained the address system of the numbered bridges, two of those later, I turned back. Only to find that I had walked past the Bright Spark fairly early on! Doh, BUT, it was the other side of the canal and there was no obvious way up to the bridge, so I hied me off to the woods and found a track through the woods to what was obviously a farmer's bridge, crossed over and went hollering outside the boat. Thank goodness she was there!
We sat outside her boat and the evening just unfolded. It was warm and so quiet, the baby ducklings visited with mum several times, the swans did one of their rather supercilious inspections, the fish nibbled something off the outside off the next boat and then the sun set. WOW! I was looking down canal towards the bridge so there was the circular effect of the bridge reflecting in the water. To one side of this the reflection of the sun gently appeared in the water then grew stronger and larger - it was incredibly beautiful - I can't do justice to it with words. The glow gently moved slightly and then just as gracefully disappeared. It was one of those moments in life that was so beautiful and peaceful that you want to keep inside you for ever.
All that was washed down with the most delicious camambert cheese, salad and fruit. I now want to try a trip on a boat as I have never travelled on one. Just that short experience has opened up another can of experience that looks fun.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

Oh, Liz! It sounds wonderful - if you had only TAKEN YOUR CAMERA! Oh well, maybe next time?

I'm glad you had a good time :)

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home