Sunday, July 03, 2005

London at its best.

I went down to London to meet up with my college friend who lives in the States and comes over to visit once a year. Last year we met up at my home, this year we met at Tate Britain and looked at the exhibition about British landscapes. There were some lovely paintings there, some early Turners which were a complete surprise to me - I think I had supposed that he was always an impressionist, but not so! I will also admit that I am not a fan of Constable, the man who painted the Haywain, but I rather liked his sketches of trees very much. We followed this with a flying visit to the Reynolds exhibition - called the Creation of Celebrity. Well! What a lot of oddities he painted, including himself - 30 times!! I thought the best pictures were those of two children, a prostitute and Omai, the rather delicious eastern gentleman who was brought over as an experiment!
Well, we high-tailed it out of there to the museum of garden history over the road. Lunch first in a walled garden, the food was wonderful, tasty, good proportions and of course tasted better for being eaten outside. Two hours later we walked around the museum part in the church which was rather lovely, homely and interesting if you like gardening. My goodness we talk for England when we meet up, so realizing that she had to meet her sister and I had a train to catch we walked down to Tate Modern beside the river Thames. There were lots of people mingling around, down past County Hall there were many street entertainers, musicians, mime artists, jugglers etc. We sat and listened to a folk group just beside the Festival Hall then carried on to meet her sister and friend. They were going to dinner in a restaurant beside the Globe theatre so I joined them for a glass of wine and an hors d'oeuvre. Oh they were delicious, so I was rather peeved to have to leave. But it was one of those magical days when London was lovely to stroll through, the crowds were not too enormous and we were entertained by many different groups.
It was good to come back to the country though!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

You cannot imagine how envious I am right now!

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home