Monday, May 29, 2006

England, glorious England - oh drat, it was actually Wales!

I have just spent the most wonderufl (that's a lovely new word!) week-end in the Brecon Beacons. We had the whole gamut of weather, rain, sun, heavy wind, almost freezing, fog, low lying clouds etc etc.

On Saturday the rain ruled the roost, so we went into Hay on Wye to visit a few book shops, coffee shops and other girlie shopping, you know - clothes, jewelry etc. Then we emulated the intelligentsia nd went to the Hay Literary Festival and visited a few more book shops, the stalls giving freebies - wine, crisps and yogurt from Shropshire!! Then back for food, wine and much hilarity around the fire. Did you know that disposable barbies have a wonderful second role in life, cook on them then put them under your garden chair and they warm the posterior in such a gentle manner - ooooh! Go on, try it!
Sunday saw us trolling around the countryside, not just any old part, but the Lord of Hereford's Knob - yep, you read this aright. There was a cairn at the top so I celebrated reaching this most incredible place by walking around it three times clockwise. When I asked what we did next, I was told 'Go down....' so I just laughed, and laughed and laughed. What else could one say! I went to visit an elderly family friend of 89 years who was thrilled that I had been there! Oh I know it well she laughed! (So I am not the only with this sense of humour.)
Today we went to visit a crooked church which really made us feel seasick. I must find out the name of the place, it was wonderful. (Got it - St Martin's Cwmyoy.) Then there were the bluebell woods, oh how lovely they looked and smelled. This is the time to be in England - oooops sorry, Wales!

4 Comments:

Blogger H said...

Drat?

11:19 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Didn't want to retype and it seemed strange that England snd Wales are not the same country!! Nart sends her love.

11:20 AM  
Blogger H said...

It's the celt in me!
Thanks, must go over again sometime!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

I love your descriptions! I can see everything so clearly in my mind and as always, I want to be there too.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home