Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Shocking!

Yesterday my daughter was 30, yes 30. I had my birthday two days before but it was her age that made me really stop and realise how old I am. Aaargh!!! I just don't feel that old and I certainly don't want to sit in a chair and do nothing for the rest of my days. There, that's my confession done, no more of that!!

Several bloggers have been asking how we celebrate Christmas - well, in my case it is very much as if there were still young children in the house. (Me???) I love a real Christmas tree and it still has the original angel who sits on the top - she is a paper doily creation from Olivia's young days. We made her together and she is much cherished. In fact, Ru's partner has asked for one for their tree, so I shall have to buy some more cake doilies to make model number two - I think the facial features will be left for her to fill in!! We have white lights at the moment and lots of glass balls in red and gold, I also hang other little Christmassy things which are bought , then we have a tradition of hanging little felt stockings on the tree and they have chocolates inside them. Then there are the bags of golden coins - I love those!! The children were allowed to empty one stocking a day after Christmas day until the tree was taken down on Jan 5th. I still put things inside some of them - and treat myself!!

I then decorate as much of the house as I can - the sitting room has swathes of greenery along the main beams and lots of holly and ivy in other parts of the room, the doorways have swathes of greenery and baubles above them. Some of these are inherited from my aunt and so are about 60 - 70 years old. The golden flowers are ones I have made and they are about 15 years old. Are you getting the idea that I keep everything? Well I do, and so each year the box of decorations gets bigger as I pack them away. So next week I shall climb into the attic and fight my way to the back and dig out all of the boxes from the trunk where they are kept. The boxes themselves are quite special, I have used all the lovely chocolate boxes that I have received in past years - our Luxembourgish friends always bought very special hand made Belgian chocs when they came to stay. I also make the weath that goes on the front door, this year I have managed to find a base that will keep real flowers alive, so now I need to look for some greenery and some Christmas roses to use for the arrangement. Perhaps the plants in the garden might provide some blooms.

I still have the treat of buying one more decoration for this year, so I can go shopping again then?!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

Everything sounds lovely. If you were the picture taking kind of girl, I would ask where the pics are, but I won't! I believe the older the ornament, the better it is, so you are very fortunate there :) I have bought many ornaments at antique stores.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Pewari Naan said...

I buy one new ornament a year too :)

Not that mine are terribly ancient or even that tasteful with young children in the house ;) I've long since given up on having anything coordinated.

My treat this year was a fake wreath (bargain in Tesco!) as I'm not as talented as you and ALWAYS forget to buy a fresh one. What I did forget to buy was a thing to stick it up on an external door, so this year it's inside on one of those invisible plastic wreath hanger things that go over an internal door.

Oh well :)

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home