Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Thank goodness I lost the Christmas cake!!

You might be WELL aware that I lose things easily...OK, have I mentioned the fact that I lost the Christmas cake?

There was no excuse for buying the cake this year, so in September I made a cake for Livvy's birthday and Christmas. Fine!! Then I decided to decorate the house - fine again!!

But, when you decorate a small house, things have to be moved around. Well, that's OK if you can remember where you put things. And I can't!!

So, at the beginning of December I realised that I had lost the cake. Plenty of time to find it I thought. Then we had a celebration for Livvy's 30 th birthday and the first thing that Tim (her partner) asked me when he came into the house?
"Have you made a Christmas cake this year?"

"Oh yes," said I "ages ago."

Hah! I think I got my come-uppance for saying that. The debit card disappeared soon after and so the searches were on. I have an immaculate study, but no card. So, I gave in and admitted to my bank that I had lost it. I must admit I wonder what would happen if you lost the card and had no secondary account to back up things, cashing a cheque without a card is not possible at my bank. Time to change??

OK, that apart. How many hours do I spend looking for things; the answer has to be - far too many. Let me tell you about today.

I remembered that I had put some things under the cupboard under the kitchen sink - behind the kick board thingy. The dustpan and brush and I thought I recalled putting a tin under there. Well, I had a tin full of dried fruit, but no cake. Drat!! Then I heard the ominous sound of dripping water. There was a leak somewhere under the sink. After much furtling around under the cupboards the leak was found. The connection between the water pipe and the dishwasher had loosened. Easy enough to sort out. Good!! It also meant that I had cleaned out the cupboard under the sink, so tomorrow I can get my washing up liquid refilled when I go to the market. (Bear with me, this is a complicated story!!)

After the moments of awful stomach lurching feeling whenever I find leak in the house, this was a positive outcome, but I must remember to check this every six months or so. So, that's whyI was pleased to have lost the cake.

Why am I so cheerful about this? Well later on, my son rang me up and I was recounting the story to him. I usually stand in front of the place I am talking about when on the phone. Then I continued walking into the spare bedroom, turned around to leave and there, staring me in the face was the tin containing the Christmas cake. My son did not appreciate my shriek!!! But I appreciate his phone call. I was just about to start making another cake, in fact I had bought the dried fruit... so I shall pack it in the tin and put it...?

1 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

I am happy you found other things whilst looking for the Christmas cake. Do you know if this is the same thing as a Fruit Cake?

Fruit Cake Recipe

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home