Monday, May 12, 2003

I have just had a quintessentially 'British' experience! It was wonderful and restores belief in people. Let me explain.

I was driving home on the main A41 which bypasses Newport, a fairly fast stretch of road where lorries and motorbikes take no prisoners. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something white on the verge of the opposite side of the road. Luckily there was a break in the traffic on that side because Mrs Swan, babies and Mr Swan, stepped onto the road and waddled over. Not a hint of 'Look Left' let alone 'Look Right'! Green Cross Code stuff? Obviously never heard of it in the swan world. However, with wild flashing of head lights I warned the oncoming lorries and looking through the rear mirror, I saw they stopped, as did the following traffic behind me and patiently waited for the family to cross the main road. Lovely!
It might not seem much to anyone else, but I am a driver who is easily intimidated by lorries and the thought that their drivers would stop for this little family was most reassuring!

All this after a wonderful day spent at Malvern at the Three Counties Show - or its gardening equivalent, and really there is a lot to smile about and enjoy. Even if it is the sight of my daughter sorting out a lady off for moaning at her without warrant, and in fact telling her to not be so silly! And then there were the clematis and other plants that we bought. Not over spending Livvy said, just spending!

(It is May, we have had wonderful temperatures in the 70s and now there is a hail storm out side... another British experience?!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home