Monday, July 07, 2003

The time has come the walrus said
Have I got the strength to do this? People think I am a very strong character and 'can do anything', well that's good, I just wish it were true. Especially at this moment in time.
I am just about to demolish the rather horrible built-in wardrobe in my spare bedroom, that action will have terrible repercussions on the rest of the house and on my emotions. Inside that cupboard I have stored the treasures of my past, there are school projects I did as a child almost 45 years ago - still with the cotton pod bulging in the scrap book. I have the photos from the start of my camera days, the paintings that my children did from very early days - pre-school in fact. There are dressing up clothes that I made for them - Henry VIII, a clown, a tutu etc. Bags of material which I have started to use to make a patch work bedspread, I can't throw those away as they are the material I used to make the children's clothes. I can remember them wearing the clothes and the fun we used to have.
"I can't" "But" are both words that are starting my thought streams when I look a the bin and then at the things I have lovingly hoarded. So what do I do - apart from stand there and remember the times that these items bring back to me. Should I turf out all the sensible things from the linen chest and have a memory chest of these survivors? They will have to be stored in something that is mice proof as they are my autumnal visitors in the loft on an annual basis. I can't bear to throw them away, but I need the space. If anyone has had similar predicaments and has a sensible sloution - please help - BUT DON'T tell me to throw them away.....

Someone remind me to never, never ever consider carpentry as an alternative career. I have been working on 'that' wardrobe since about 9 this morning, it is now 4 in the afternoon and I still haven't managed to take it all down. Electric screwdrivers are very useful except when you want to undo the long screws that are sticking into the wood and concrete, or the ceiling at all sorts of angles. And because they are so easy to use, they put lots of them in. Grrrrr! I am exhausted by it all and I don't often admit to that! So the next step is a strong brew of workman's tea ( to my eternal shame I had an aunt who called indian tea that name) and carry on. Well I shall imagine it could be "Carry on up the Wardrobe" or - no it gets worse! And I don't imagine Sid James would be much help in this situation!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home