Tuesday, July 04, 2006

How strange...

that we have temperatures in the thirties and a hailstorm! However I managed to attack another patch of my wilderness which is the vegetable patch. I have planted a lot of extremely late salad crops in the hope that I will attain some kind of home grown crop. Watch this space - I bet we get early frosts this autumn!!
The scents in the shrubbery continue to fill the garden, the philadelphus is just finishing, but the jasmin is now taking over with a vengenance. I love the way the scents fill the air - one of the best things in life. (Well, choco;ate runs a close second!)

I couldn't resist adding this, there is the most beautiful gibbous moon out there tonight. I have just been out on a slug crawl, the crop was not many but they were the big uns!

5 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

Slug crawl .... hmmm .... and what do you do with these slugs? Why is a slug crawl necessary?

3:27 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I am trying to grow vegetables in my garden again; they germinate womderfully well, then the slugs come along and graze on them, so I have very little to eat!! Consequently I go out at night,pick them up put them in salty water, so they live no loonger but the crops stand a chance of growing to maturity.
The mice also eat the seeds of the peas and beans, but I have not yet found a reliable way of sortin gthem out!

7:31 PM  
Blogger H said...

I try and make sure all my customers have a Philodephus in their garden - I love it!
Tami, the slug will eat anything that is young and green, they make mincemeat of a lot of young vegetable crops, and are just a pain! They are a mouth on a foot, and are horrid to boot. Another way of killing them is to snip them in half with a pair of scissors (yuk).
Sis, I believe that if you soak the pea seeds in parafin they discourage the mice (old gardeners tale!).

10:42 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

This is very interesting. I had no idea what slugs ate. I don't think I could snip them in half. How about tossing them in the neighbor's garden? (Evil Laugh!)

3:26 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I've tried that - but they can crawl back from quite a distance - like 100yds!! I can't do the snipping, so soaking them in brine, then putting them in the compost heap for their brothers and sisters to eat them is quite convenient!

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home