Friday, October 19, 2007

You can't have too many...

stepladders when you live in a small house which has gothic pretensions - gothic arches, over the window and at the bottom of the stairs, all five of them. Why the step ladders? Well, I am in the middle of a grand decision to decorate the house, down stairs has been done but I am now on the kitchen.

On? In? the kitchen? First job was to dismantle the window's secondary glazing, the glass was firmly stuck into its frame. Normal for most houses, but this one was not well made so its always annoying when something is really well stuck into position and you want to move it. However, I managed without breaking the glass - quite important when it arch shaped so expensive to replace. The whole frame needed clearing of the dark paint so that more light came into the room. OK, good decision.... but oh so boring to do. I hate decorating! I sent a message to DLG to ask her why I wasn't like her and able to get someone in to do all the work. But I'm not, sadly.

So, the step ladders in order of height are at the bottom of the stairs (tallest) at the top of the stairs (shortest) joined by a scaffolding board (note, must remember that when I go to bed!) and in the kitchen as a moveable feast (middle sized). The ceiling has had its first coat, the cupboards have been washed down, the window frame has been cleaned of all the dark staining, putty put in the windows where it is missing and plans to turn the frames around the correct way in the spring. Yes, the windows were installed inside out, so that any driving rain will drip into the house. Ted has promised to help me in the spring with this - it won't be difficult he said!

Tomorrow should see the ceiling finished, the stair wall painted and the windows cleaned with the arched glass replaced.

Should.

Wish me luck!

PS I haven't fogotten the pink flowers - the photo is taken but I can't find the connector. Everything is upside down...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope the gin was a good one .........
you deserve it!

11:13 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

When I get in the middle of these things I think to myself, "Now WHY did I want to do this?"
It will end though and you will be a happier person.
I was delighted to receive your postcard in the mail today :) I never knew the beauty of the Pyrenees! Thank you :)

12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home