Saturday, May 17, 2003

Pub signs are an interesting feature of the English countryside, so why would there be one called 'The Bear and Ragged Staff' in the middle of nowhere in Worcestershire? The bear ties in with Warwickshire but again I don't know why, except for the fact that Warwickshire CCC have a bear on their motto. Something else to be curious about! However, the pub served excellent food and I can recommend it, just outside Worcester, but perhaps I won't get too accurate about the geography otherwise they might be overun with customers...
My elderly mother astounds me with her perception. On telling her that I was going off to Florida next week, she pointed out that I have the opportunity to do these things at this moment in time and would be very silly if I didn't. Made me feel as if I am well and truly sinking in to the mud. Point taken mother!
The asparagus is in season again, so visiting Worcester is a true pleasure. We buy it at the local farm shops, cook and eat it fresh and I even bring some home. Shropshire also grows it so we have a cross fertilisation when I take her some to compare the flavours. Well, sometimes you need an excuse to buy the stuff for the third time in a week! I just wish I lived by the seaside and could buy lobsters like this - what bliss that would be! Perhaps they live in the seas on the Florida coast?
I am looking forward to the sunshine and warmth, ours seems to have gone walkabout at the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home