Monday, December 20, 2004

Harry Potter and trunks and Christmas and happy memories....

As a treat we watched the last Harry Potter film on the last morning of school - well I glanced at it whilst sorting out some files and papers. But oh, one part made me really watch - there is a scene where he has a trunk to take to school. I have an identical one which I used to transport on the train down to Devon each term full of my stuff for college. What a shock to see it on the screen!!! Does that mean my old junk - which was also my mother's trunk, is now a thing of street cred? wow!!! Mine was never filled with magical things, it was clothes and music and the metronome which I used to leave in all sorts of strange places and then had to beg family and friends to send it on to me. They are not easy to wrap and light to send, but it survivied. Which reminds me - I wonder where it is???
The said trunk is now used to hold all my Christmas decorations and is stationed at the far end of my attic, however, last Christmas I was obviously in the throes of a tidy phase. The decorations were nowhere to be found in that haven, I had bought two see-through plastic boxes to hold all the smaller ex-chocolate boxes which in turn hold all the decorations. Each year I save any pretty boxes for this purpose. The ones that came from the Thelens in Luxembourg are the best - stout cardboard and very pretty. The gold one being the topnotch box.(And the chocolates were orgasmic!) I have historic ones from John Lewis's and Harrods, and now I am adding the odd designer box that I manage to snaffle. So unwrapping the decorations is as much fun as putting them up, the memories come flooding back - the Christmas I spent with my aunt, where she showed me how to make some golden flowers - large and blowsy for effect. I have some of those baubles from that era! My children's hand made christmas trees and the fairy which was made by my daughter when she went to primary school. I have some red felt which I have just found and I am going to make some more boots to hang on the tree, ones that can be filled with little goodies. Some of the baubles were Christmas presents from past pupils - a lovely thought which reminds me of them and sets off other trains of thought. Where are they now? One is living nearby and sorting out her wedding plans for March - I intend to go and stand outside the hotel to see her go in in all her finery.
Is my tree decorated yet? You've guessed it, I am still just opening up all the old friends and enjoying the thoughts.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

It sounds like you are having great fun, but you need to get a move on! Christmas is almost here! :)

3:10 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Tami, I am always ready for Christmas on Boxing Day - my family wouldn't know how to cope if I was ready on time!! The decorations are up, the hoover is doing the final slurping of the dust and now I can go and buy the last bits that I have forgotten in the morning. We'll get there!!

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home