Sunday, October 21, 2007

The boy's toys done good!!

The holes are drilled, the electricity still works and the walls are painted. So far, so good. But oh it is so boring!! Tomorrow should see the kitchen sorted out, with just the island unit to be painted. SO, only three more rooms to do then!! (I HATE painting...)

Meals are rather pot luck when I paint - we live out of town so I can't just walk up the road for an easy take away meal and I have eaten this year's allowance of fish and chips. How is that? I have hardly been here - but the allowance is two take aways per year, so perhaps that is understandable. I decided to do an easy chilli and set it off cooking. Sadly the lid was not on the pan when I was painting just above it, so there was an extra special flavouring - best dulux paint!! ******!!

This evening's meal was a world first for the range in my sitting room. I have been lighting a fire in there each evening and this evening had one of those urges for some comfort food - a baked potato. So I wrapped a potato in foil and tried out the little oven - and it worked!! I know it is a world first for the oven as the fireplace had not been used before I had the chimney uncapped and lit the first fire a few years ago. But using the oven is new. Especially as the fireplace is really a cheap copy of the Ironbridge ranges which had real water heaters and air vents, this one has the handles but only an oven. But it works!! Now will it cook a rice pudding? That is the real test for comfort food.

After much examination of the window in the kitchen, Ted decided and I think I agree, that the builders put everything in inside out. All the glazing bars usually have the putty side on the outside, well on this window they face inwards. The windows open inwards too. Now do you see why we think the builders didn't always know what they were doing when they revived this estate? However, Ted is convinced this can be sorted and is going to make some new frames for the window next summer, the question is, do we also try to turn around the gothic arches that are at the top of the rectangular window frames as well? Now that I might chicken out of!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

Please explain: you only get two take aways per year. I know take aways = fast food. Does this also include sit down restaurants? We eat out about every two weeks, but it is in a nice, sit down restaurant. Eating fast food only twice a year would not bother me. Does this “twice a year” rule differentiate between the two?

Also, who is Ted? Is he your husband? I don’t remember seeing his name mentioned before.

I am so glad the kitchen is getting what it deserves! I’m sure it will be a joy to cook in when you have finished :)

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home