Wednesday, November 07, 2007

DLG, I can hear you from over 3,200 miles away...

I have had to stop the work and go online to make an apology that is 35 years overdue.

Oh, my goodness. Let me explain.

When we bought our marital home in the early 1970's it was actually two homes that the council were selling together. One of them had little electricity, no indoor loo or bathroom. It was a two up two down Duke of Sutherland cottage, built for his workers.
The sitting room had been decorated with wallpaper, and you could see exactly where the furniture had been because they did not move it to re-paper the room. There had been a grandfather clock, sideboard and a large chest of drawers that were obviously too big to move and they had been papered around several times. At the time I thought it was dreadful.

But now? Having to move my own grandfather clock to repaint, I can easily understand why they did that, and also appreciate how much more interesting it was for the people who lived there after the previous tenants. We knew far more about those people than any one will from my decorating. So, I am sorry I was so snotty about them!

However, why will DLG be shouting at me? OK. I will own up - I have never seen so many dead spiders and their webs in the top of a clock's casing, as there were in mine - oh, the shame of it! And the dead woodlice at the bottom? Well they are going to act as kindling for the fire when I next light it. Perhaps this is why in my heart of hearts I know I have to do this horrendous amount of painting - it is instead of the annual spring clean. Who was the English man in New York who never dusted? I think I am a genetic descendant of his!!

I will now put cotton wool in my ears and hang my head in shame. (Whilst I carry on with the dreaded decorating of course. Woe is me...)

1 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

Don't feel bad; I don't believe anyone thinks to dust in many places, especially inside a clock! I wish so much that you had taken pictures of the wallpaper around the furniture. I would have loved to have seen something like that! Please ask DLG why she quit blogging. My aunt asks about her all the time and misses her terribly.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home