Saturday, July 12, 2003

The Eyes have it!
I denied looking like Dusty, but I have found the eye makeup that I used in 'those' days - Mary Quant no less. The eye gloss instructions for the silvery grey colour advise using sparingly _ i don't think I did sparingly; the inkpot for eyes is a lovely little ceramic pot with dark indigo colour gunk inside it. Perhaps I will have to take that denial back - but only as far as the eyes went!! (Somewhere else I have the false eyelashed too....)
Other little treasures that have survived in my shoebox to the past are the clips for candles that we used at Christmas on the tree. So dangerous its unbelievable!! I remember them being lit though and the tree did not burst into flames. We used to chop a holly tree down from the farm, we didn't buy trees in those days. A little contraption to tell me which exposure to use on the camera, an ivory thimble, one of those ever ready pen torches that we all had, a nail file with a tortoiseshell handle and a tiny panda with bendy limbs. This little toy was one of several small presents that an elderly relation used to give me when I went visiting as a child.
They were called Edie and Archie, he was a tea taster, Edie was a full time wife, one of those lovely caring 'soft' women who seemed to know what everyone would like to eat or to do. I must find out more about them from my mother. Every summer my aunt used to take me over to visit them and I would have such fun there, they lived in a huge house with those bells in each room to pull for someone to come and do something. We used to go to a room and pull the bell, then dash down into the kitchen to see if the bell was still ringing by the time we got there. Lovely staircases and those hand embroidered 'muffs' hanging around the doorhandles to stop the doors from shutting or slamming I suppose. Edie used to hide the presents for me on the stairs, there would be one tine little toy each time I went and I still have them all. (That is why I have a full house.... I keep things.) I will take a photo of the panda and the others and add it later - at this moment I am on a mission to finish that room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home