Sunday, July 13, 2003

Germaine Greer hide your head in shame!
I hope she is regretting some of her writings about women's lib, because the antagonisms shown towards men have done us a great disservice. Where has all this come from? I walked over to the village to buy the Sunday paper this morning, on the way I pass the village church - well its one of the two village churches and is rather a pretty one - with spire etc.

It was just the end of the morning service so people were coming out to their cars, I walked on along the line of cars to see a gentleman, and that is what he is, opening the car door for his wife and ensuring she was safely in before he shut the door. He said 'Good Morning' to me and then went around to his side to get in. I was musing that it is not often that this action is seen nowadays and what a pity that is, because there is nothing I love more than for a man to open a door for me, or anything simple like that - showing that they can and they want to make almost a caring gesture - which after all may also be made to a total stranger with no underhand meaning. At this point a car drew up beside me, the same gentleman spoke again, 'Excuse me, would you like a lift into the village or am I right in thinking you would like to walk?' Wow! I was incredibly touched by his good manners, what a pity that feminism has done away with that kind of behaviour from most people.

Now those children in my new class in September may well have lessons in something they never bargained for, I hope we are learning about life during the second world war. Lots of opportunities there!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home