Tuesday, August 30, 2005

A hint of things to come...

Our first instructions upon arrival in Leh were quite simply to rest! I don't know about you, but I am a fidgetty person and find this difficult, however, that first attempt at walking up about 18 stairs was a killer, so I did as I was told. At 4 o'clock we were allowed a gently amble around the city. At this point, let me introduce you to my level of walking fitness, I am what I describe as a 'puffing Billy' and that is in normal circumstances, at 3,000 or so metres, that needs to be magnified into a steam contraption that feels as if it is about to overheat!!! The gentle stroll took us into a monastery in the city - the first of many and very interesting it was too. There was a school for Buddhism running and the teenagers were all attending even though it was Saturday afternoon. The decorations in side were going to prove to be extremely interesting in most of the monasteries. They were colourful and certainly entertaining!





The photo shows a building at the top of a hill which was to be part of another day's walk, the mere threat of that was so daunting!!

However, we spent the first day ambling through the streets drinking in the atmosphere. I think it is true to say that Leh in the summer months put on the stalls for the tourists as this is their main way of eraning currency. The city is blocked in by the snow for 6-9 months and then reverts back to true Ladakhi style of living. But I loved it, the older people dressed in traditional style clothing, three or four layers of woollen clothing despite the heat!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home