Monday, July 31, 2006

Phew!! This is exhausting.

The people with whom I discussed early retirement all said - to a body, I would wonder how I had time to go to work. Yes, right, I thought. There must be some exaggeration there, hah! I am exhausted! The day starts with a check over of the window boxes, to deadhead, water and de-slug/snail them. The tally this morning was 12 snails in the five baskets. Then I do the same in the veg patch which is now starting to show signs of growth. Nascent rows of spinach and other salads. I do a daily hoe around each row, water them with water from the kitchen or the shower - then I search for the slugs under all the boards that I walk on. Big tally this morning, it rained yesterday and so the little varmints came sneaking out for a graze.

My lettuce plantlets have been surrounded by copper circle which are filled with crunched up egg shells. (I have to admit DLG, that the egg box is back on the radiator with egg shells drying in it. I need my weaponry!) The one plant that I thought had the best defences has been totally anhillated by the wretched slugs. I think I need to do some research into their mental make-up.

Then I have breakfast - home made bread now, with marmalade - also homemade. Then I try to do an hour of work on learning Spanish, about half an hour of Pilates exercises, then I can start the day of TLC for my little house and garden. The plan is to do one room a day (well that has been too ambitious and it is only week 2!!) and also a part of the garden needs sorting daily.

Wow - my neighbours were so right about life being too busy... the really annoying thing is that I am unable to go to sleep because I keep thinking of things that I need to do. Four o'clock in the morning seems to be the hour that my body gives in and starts sleeping.

Any advice on how to get my body into a more reasonable sleep rhythm would be gratefully accepted!

9 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

Do they sell Tylenol PM over there? They have worked for me!

School starts back on the 9th for us. It has gone by so quickly. Enjoy the break while you can :)

1:45 AM  
Blogger H said...

Lavender oil?

1:19 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Tami, I'm not sure what Tylenol PM is, but I will have a look for it. I am burning Lemon oil at the moment to discourage the flies, so as long as I don't mix these up, I could try the lavender oil - do I burn it, drink it, put it on my pillow? I need guidance sister dear....

1:47 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

You guys are talking oils whereas Tylenol PM is a PILL - drugs. Ha! Ha!

This is the site and it shows a picture of the box:

http://www.tylenol.com/page.jhtml?id=tylenol/pain/subppm.inc&_requestid=361529

4:53 PM  
Blogger H said...

Burn it! Bathe in it (few drops in a hot bath) or mix it with carrier oil and put it on a hankie.
By the way, if you want the tylenol just let me know............... it's generally not available over here, probably not licensed.

6:55 PM  
Blogger H said...

Got an even better thought - a hop pillow. Smells nice, and doesn't take much thinking about!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Tami said...

H (does that stand for Helen?) is offering to be your drug dealer! What a great sister! Actually, my very own sister works in a doctor's office, so she can get free samples.

3:05 PM  
Blogger H said...

That's brilliant Tami (actually I'm a Harriet) I think you have the better deal - but Sis, find a hop pillow, it will be far better for you!

(And why does the amount of letters in the verification thingy go up every time I make a comment??)

10:31 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

I know Harriet! You would think the varification would get EASIER with every comment not longer and harder to read! But, it's that way on all the blogs I visit. Too bad people ruin things and leave spam or we wouldn't need those programs at all.

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home