Monday, September 04, 2006

Ouch! Ouch and ouch!

Why? Well, yesterday was rather painful - I cycled 28 miles for the first time in my life. (Don't ask me why...) Perhaps now the title is understandable!! How on earth do people cycle thousands of miles across continents - and from here to China and back?

(My new shopping list contains things like - a deluxe gell saddle cover. A milometer, a bag thing to go on the handle bars, and most importantly a puncture repair kit. )

We started out from Market Harborough, getting the hill climb over with at the beginning of the ride, then onto the first village, Lubenham which was holding its annual scarecrow festival. They were brilliant! Perhaps the most impressive one was the speed cop and then his first victim on a motorbike.



I also loved the Pied Piper of Lubenham. (But hang on - you'll have to lie down to look at this one until I can sort it out!!)




They were wonderful!! We then cycled down to Naseby and spent some time re-enacting (in our minds) the battle of Naseby. That man Oliver Cromwell has a lot to answer for! Lunch was taken at a village pub which looked lovely from the outside, but the bar inside was painted a dark purple - a really dark purple. It looked very much like a 1960's hangover and blow me down, there was a portrait of John Lennon hanging on the wall. Weird.

Our journey home was along a cycle track which had been built on an old train track. It was lovely - and so were the tunnels, real train tunnels that were very long and dark. Have you tried riding a bike in the pitch dark? It was very strange, I completely lost my sense of balance, so got off and walked. That was OK, but I still kept bumping into people in front and at one stage into the wall at the side. Blind in charge of a bike!!! And not a drop of alcohol had passed my lips that day.

I am doing a lot of strange things nowadays... its fun!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

That’s a good point you make about losing your balance in the dark. I had never thought of it before. I wonder if everyone gets that way.

12:51 PM  
Blogger H said...

Well done Sis - beat my 15 anyway!

And what were you on if you didn't stop at a pub?

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home