Sunday, January 13, 2008

My working past.

In answer to Tami's question about my computer knowledge I will try to explain.

In about 1999, the government decided that all teachers should be trained in the use of computers. Many of them had managed to avoid the use of these demonic machines, but this was to 'be changed'. We could choose whether to learn from disks, online or from face to face trainers and had a demonstration at our school from a gentleman who worked for a development section of a university. He was carting around all sorts of laptops, projectors etc (large toys that I like) and jokingly I asked him if there were any jobs going. Suffice to say, 6 weeks later I started to work for Anglia Ruskin University. Bit of a rush, but a giddy new life was in store.

My job was to train teachers how to use computers and some educational programs, it was usually very interesting. However, some people hated the fact that finally they had to face the computer and certainly let me know!! When the funding ended I went back into teaching the short people as opposed to the tall ones, but all along I have worked with computers and spent many hours sorting them out. Funnily enough, at the end of the BETT show we had to pack up, so I just got on with it. The owner of the firm was impressed that things fitted and asked how I knew what went where. Many hours of unpacking and packing up the beast for years had been a good experience. Strange how they assume that primary schools had technicians, we never had help until the last two years of my teaching. Not the best way to run computer suites! Things are better now, but the beginning of computerisation in most primary schools was very hit and miss. Those who were curious learnt things, others did not!

So my experiences were often caused by curiosity, they have led me to some strange places and situations but it was good fun!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

This was very interesting to read. Thank you for answering my questions. You remind me of my husband; he soaks up knowledge like a sponge.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home