Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Swallows and Amazons.

On Sunday I experienced another 'first' - sailing. So far I have assumed I would be very sea sick on board any small boat, so quite simply I have avoided it. However, I was dragged off to Rutland Water, introduced to a cute little catamaran and bundled on board before I could suggest it might be lovely to sit on the edge of the lake and just watch.

Let me just explain the 'on board' part - it consisted of a net stretched between the two torpedo shaped parts that actually floated in the water. There were no seats or anything solid or stable like that, which was OK until I sat at the rear end and the water soaked me from underneath. Mmmm, wet nappies come to mind!!! ( Contrast this with Lynne's experience of sailing on a huge yacht in Egypt. She and I often find ourselves experiencing similar things, but somehow she always bags the luxury end of the experiences!!)

Well, I have to say that I enjoyed it from the start, after I was bribed with the promise of an ice cream from the other side of the lake (It works everytime!). I even learnt how to steer the creature, to gib -jib gyb ??? and to tack, but don't ask me the difference between the two. The funniest part came when we were becalmed and had to lie down on the two torpedo bits and paddle the boat toward shore! Thank goodness there were no sharks or crocs... I don't remember that happening to the children in Swallows and Amazons. Perhaps I shall have to read those books again?

By the way, the yellow bath ducks are turning up again all over the world, there is a lot of interest in their travels as the experts are using them to track the sea currents. Next time you are sitting at the harbour restaurant DLG keep an eye out for yellow bath ducks bobbing in the harbour. If you see them, alert the authorities!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home